SPCA of Texas - Boy and Girl Scout Workshops
The SPCA of Texas’ Education Department is proud to present a fun and educational workshop program for Boy and Girl Scouts.
Do your scouts love dogs and cats--and even horses, donkeys, goats and bunnies? What better way to learn more about how the SPCA of Texas helps those animals in our community than by earning a badge at the SPCA of Texas by completing a project that will help the animals in our care!
Our workshops include with a brief history of the SPCA of Texas, an interactive overview of the many programs and services the SPCA of Texas offers the people and pets of North Texas, and, best of all, a tour through one of our animal care centers to see the animals that are waiting for their forever homes.
Our workshops for scouts include:
- Earn an exclusive SPCA of Texas Pet Care Patch
- Work on exciting projects designed help the shelter and provide an enriching and fun environment for the animals (projects are determined by the Troop Leader and the SPCA of Texas’ Humane Educator based on scout/troop needs, all materials provided by the SPCA of Texas)
- Tour one of the SPCA of Texas’ two animal care centers
Age: Although our scout workshops are geard toward scouts ages 8-11, please contact the Education department to discuss modified workshop options for younger or older scouts.
Duration: 1 – 2 hours, depending on the scope of the project.
Schedule: Workshops are offered Monday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please schedule at least 2 weeks in advance, subject to availability.
Locations: The Jan Rees-Jones Animal Care Center at 2400 Lone Star Drive in West Dallas and the Russell H. Perry Animal Care Center at 8411 Stacy Road in McKinney.
Cost: $10 (Monday - Friday) or $12 (Saturday - Sunday) for each child (covers the cost of materials and patches). The Troop Leader and each attending chaperone (we ask that all groups include one adult per 10 scouts; chaperones must be at least 21 years of age) attend for free.
To schedule a scout workshop at either SPCA of Texas animal care center, please contact: Terri Hooks, Humane Educator at 214.461.1811 or email@example.com.
- Our minimum requirement is 6 attendees.
- Multiple troops can attend the same workshop.
- Maximum attendees per tour is 15 total, including adults and children (which may include younger/older siblings accompanying adult chaperones). If you have a larger group, please schedule additional tours.
- Scouts should be dressed in a seasonally appropriate manner so that they are comfortable both indoors and out (closed-toe shoes and long pants are preferred in any season) and should apply insect repellent and sunscreen as appropriate before their arrival at our facilities.
- We ask that any person under 18 remain with an adult during the entirety of their visit.
- Scout Leaders and Chaperones are responsible for ensuring the group’s appropriate behavior throughout the entire visit.
- Groups must make their own appropriate arrangements for individuals with animal allergies.
Payment and Arrival:
- Please note that payment in full is due 48 hours before each workshop.
- Scout Leaders, please arrive ten minutes early for all scheduled activities and check in at our adoptions deskwith the following information: name of group, total number of scouts and total number of adults. If the group has more members than originally scheduled, we ask for payment of each additional person at this time. We are not able to give refunds or credits for groups who have fewer participants than originally scheduled.
- Thank you for understanding that if your group arrives more than fifteen minutes late, we are not able to guarantee a complete workshop.
- Please note there is a $35 non-refundable fee to hold your date and time. This fee will be deducted from your total. If you need to reschedule, please contact us 214-461-1811
- If you are unable to come to your originally scheduled date, we will make every effort to reschedule your scouting activity. However if no available date can be found, please understand that we unable to refund your fees.
- In the case of inclement weather, please call 214-461-1811 and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm whether your group's activity will still take place. Please note that we hold programs rain or shine, and cancel only for very heavy rain, thunder/lightning and snow or icy conditions. Please do not assume your activity is cancelled, as a refund will not be issued to no shows. In the event of inclement weather that causes us to cancel your group's activity, we will contact you as soon as possible via email or the phone number provided on your reservation form. If we cancel, we will try to reschedule for another date that works for you. If we are unable to schedule another time, a full refund will be issued.