SPCA of Texas Volunteer Program
Thank you for your interest in the SPCA of Texas Volunteer Program! SPCA of Texas volunteers give their hearts, time and their all to make every day special for the animals waiting for homes. Volunteers help fulfill our mission by assisting in many ways both in the shelter and in the community. Please see below for information about volunteer opportunities.
Animal Ambassador I – Once you attend the volunteer orientation, all shelter volunteer positions begin in Animal Ambassador I. A time commitment of 10 hours is required within three months of the volunteer orientation. Shifts are scheduled from 8:30-10:30am, 12-2pm, 2-4pm and 4-6pm (7days/week). Once the 10 hours are complete a volunteer can attend an Animal Handling Class to become an Animal Handler.
10 hours of Animal Handling is required to move to other program areas which include animal handling. A 4 hour commitment per month is required to remain an active volunteer.
- Animal Handler/Animal Care Center - Assist with basic shelter tasks
- Animal Handler/Clinics - Assist with basic clinic tasks
- Animal Handlers/PetSmart - Assist with basic tasks
- Animal Handler/Fosters - Care for animals in home
- Animal Handler/Pet Enrichment Team (PET) - Assist with basic enrichment needs in the shelter
- Pet Enrichment Team (PET) Trainer – Provide specific training for behavioral issues with shelter animals
Animal Ambassador II – To move to these volunteer positions volunteers must have successfully completed Animal Ambassador I requirements and all additional training required. A 4 hour commitment per month is required to remain an active volunteer.
- Adoption Counselor – Animal Care Centers – Assist potential adopters in making the best possible match
- Wellness Technician Assistant – Clinics – Assist with the clinic wellness clients and patients
Animal Ambassador III – To move to these volunteer positions volunteers must have successfully completed Animal Ambassador I requirements, all additional training required and have completed 50 hours in the shelter as an active volunteer. A 4 hour commitment per month is required to remain an active volunteer.
- Seizure Warrant Assistance Team (SWAT) – Animal Care Centers/R&I – Participate in the process of animals seized under a warrant
- Admitting Assistant – Animal Care Centers – Participate in the process of medical and behavioral evaluations
- Animal Care Technician Assistant – Animal Care Centers – Participate in the process of medical and behavioral evaluations
- Livestock Assistant – Perry Animal Care Center – Participate in the care and enrichment of livestock
- Surgery Technician Assistant- Clinics- Assist with clinic surgery clients and patients
Non-direct animal care Opportunities – We also offer other volunteer opportunities outside of the shelter environment which still benefit the animals. Volunteers must attend the volunteer orientation and complete any additional training required. A 4 hour commitment per month is required to remain an active volunteer.
- Humane Education – Attend various events as a representative of the SPCA of Texas
- Compassion Connection – Visit facilities with your pet such as nursing homes (must be registered Pet Partners with Delta Society)
- Pet Grief Support– Assist those grieving the loss of a beloved pet
- Special Events – Assist at our special events benefiting the SPCA of Texas
- Clerical – Assist with basic clerical duties which may include data entry, filing, answering and returning calls, etc.
The decision to volunteer should be made with the understanding of the commitment and requirements it demands. All volunteers must be 18 year of age or older. If you are between 12-17 years of age, you may volunteer with a parent or legal guardian who is also a volunteer. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please complete an application and you will be contacted with more information.
*Please note that the SPCA of Texas does not offer a court appointed community service program.