History of the SPCA of Texas
The SPCA of Texas was incorporated by Texas State Charter on September 22, 1938 and is a tax exempt non-profit organization under section 501[c]3 of the Internal Revenue code.
We're over 70 years old, but we do trace our roots to the late nineteenth century.
The June 30, 1888 issue of the Dallas Morning News stated that the Dallas Humane Society (the SPCA of Texas' forerunner), was in fact, the first humane society in the state of Texas. The agency was organized in 1888 to protect both animals and children. In later years, the group focused solely on animals.
The Dallas Animal Protective League and the Dallas Society for Animal Protection emerged in the 1930's and the two groups consolidated in 1970. The name of the two groups together then became the Dallas SPCA. Then, in 1993, the Dallas SPCA (based in Dallas) and the Humane Society of Texas (based in Collin County) merged to become the SPCA of Texas.
The SPCA of Texas is currently comprised of two shelters and three spay/neuter clinics located in Dallas and McKinney in addition to our wide array of programs and services that bring people and animals together to enrich each others' lives
Over the years, we've seen many shelters come and go, but our commitment to the animals has ever remained our guiding light. Today, as ever, we're dedicated to providing every animal exceptional care and a loving home.